Use nine: Try softening brushes that are hardened with old, dried-in paint by boiling them in vinegar and let them stand for one hour. Then heat the vinegar and brushes come to a gentle boil. Simmer for 20 minutes. Rinse well, working the softened paint out of the bristles. For extremely heavy paint encrustations, you may need to repeat the process...or head to the hardware store.

Use ten: A little vinegar and salt added to the water you wash leafy green vegetables will float out bugs and kill germs.

Use eleven: Soak or simmer stuck-on food in 2 cups of water and 1/2 cup of vinegar. The food will soften and lift off in a few minutes.

Use twelve: Clean and freshen the garbage disposal by running a tray of ice cubes, with 1/2 cup of vinegar poured over them, through it once a week.

Use thirteen: In a pinch, you can use equal parts of lemon juice and vinegar to clean brass and copper. On difficult areas add a little salt to the mix for some abrasive action.

Friday, January 29, 2010

8. Use Your Power Only For Good

I am so powerful sometimes that it frightens me.  It became apparent to me when I worked as a manicurist.  On rare occasions I would tell my partner that I would be "Oh, so happy" to go home early, if only my last client would call and re-schedule.  Lo and behold, later on the phone would ring and "Voila!" I'm going home early.  My partner would shake her head and say, "Use your power only for good!"

Bob and I love French onion soup.  Sometimes when we are a little tired of Costco's hot dogs, we go to Appleby's for a cup of their very yummy French onion at only 290 calories.  That's with the cheese and  bread topper!  Bob couples his with a half BLT sandwich.  I'm just there for the soup.  I don't want anything else to confuse my taste buds.  So, the other day when we were in the grocery store Bob said, "Why don't you try your hand at the onion soup?"  There was really no reason except  that I had never actually looked up a recipe.  "Hmm," I say, " I know it has beef broth and lots of onion."  So we gathered them up and headed for home.

As I checked the email later, there was one from one of my sweet nieces.  Reading it I started to laugh, there she tells me that she has found a great recipe for "French onion soup" from Rachael Ray!  But that's not where it ends. We just got a huge order (huge for us) for kitchen towels with my designs, so I had to iron them.  I turned on the television for company (the food channel, of course) and Paula Deen was on.. In her delicious Southern drawl she announces "Today, Ya'll,  you're just gonna love my recipe for "French onion soup!"

Now, is it a coincidence?  Is it serendipity?  Call it what you like, I just know that even when faced with temptation, I must use my power only for good.

Here's Rachael Ray's recipe    Rachael's site
French Onion Soup
6 medium onions
4 T. butter
3 cloves of garlic, finely chopped
2 fresh bay leaves (I'll probably use dry)
2 T. fresh thyme, finely chopped  (Hmm...I wonder the flavor compromise if I don't add this)
salt and pepper
1 cup dry white wine
1 quart beef stock
2 T. Worcestershire sauce
1 baguette, ends trimmed, sliced into 16 rounds about 1-inch thick.  (I don't think I'll need 16)
1/2 pound Gruyere cheese, shredded (I love Gruyere but usually have Mozzarella on hand and I'll cut a slice of cheese instead of grate it)
4 T. good quality dry sherry (optional...I NEVER have this on hand)

Heat heavy soup pot over medium heat while thinly slicing the onions.  Add the butter to the pot and melt.  Add the onions, garlic, bay leaves, thyme(maybe not), salt and pepper and gently caramelize, stirring frequently, for 30 minutes.  If the onions begin to brown too quickly at the edges before they caramelize, turn the heat down a bit.  Deglaze the pan with the wine, then let reduce for 1 minute while stirring.  Add the stock and the Worcestershire sauce and simmer for 15 minutes more.


Fill oven-proof bowls with soup.  Place round of bread cut to fit bowl on top of soup and cover with cheese.
Place in broiler until cheese is bubbly.


If you make it, let me know how it compares with Appleby's.





1 comment:

  1. Sharon, It about time we see more of your great writing talent. The few words on cards here and there and the great Christmas letters (I have saved them all) are not enough. I will be reading this regularly. Keep up the good work. Love, Dort

    ReplyDelete