Use nine: Try softening brushes that are hardened with old, dried-in paint by boiling them in vinegar and let them stand for one hour. Then heat the vinegar and brushes come to a gentle boil. Simmer for 20 minutes. Rinse well, working the softened paint out of the bristles. For extremely heavy paint encrustations, you may need to repeat the process...or head to the hardware store.

Use ten: A little vinegar and salt added to the water you wash leafy green vegetables will float out bugs and kill germs.

Use eleven: Soak or simmer stuck-on food in 2 cups of water and 1/2 cup of vinegar. The food will soften and lift off in a few minutes.

Use twelve: Clean and freshen the garbage disposal by running a tray of ice cubes, with 1/2 cup of vinegar poured over them, through it once a week.

Use thirteen: In a pinch, you can use equal parts of lemon juice and vinegar to clean brass and copper. On difficult areas add a little salt to the mix for some abrasive action.

Thursday, June 24, 2010

46. Friendship, Friendship, It's the Perfect Blendship!


Our recent trip battling the Los Angeles traffic to and from Pomona gave me ample time to consider our fabulous Pomona High School Red Devil Diva's reunion.  My only regret is that more gals couldn't be there.  Bob and I have such fond memories of our high school days.  We both LOVED school! Life, even though I'm sure there were times when it didn't seem simple and uncomplicated, were indeed, simple and uncomplicated.  I could recite a litany of reasons why it can be so difficult now, but everyone would concur, I'm sure, that "The time's they are a changin'."  (even though you couldn't understand most of the words in later years, Bob Dylan was right on so many counts)

But leaving all that jazz behind, one thing Bob and I have learned on our charge up "Fool's Hill,"  is that you can't buy back time.  I know that I tend to belabor that point, but if young folks could just pick up that one thought and carry it with them through their journey their lives would be so much richer.  Perhaps, I'm underestimating them, maybe more realize it than I give credit.  I know that our children still have very close friends from high school.  Trisha's friend (Sherry, they were a trouble making duo,)  still travel the globe together and Bud and his friends, Chris and  Jay, are perfectly happy to hang out in Arroyo Grande.  

Our old Houston friend, Sandy, from 1975, located us last year through Facebook, (thank you internet,) What grand fun we had the year we were neighbors.  We both had little kids and Bob was working and going to school and she was divorced.  What we didn't think of the kids did!  We had tried to find her for years.  Once in a while she would locate us and then she would move when the rent was due and we would lose her again.  When she called, Bob recognized her voice immediately!  I heard him say, "Sandy Bunn, where the hell have you been?"  We are so happy to have her in our lives again!  

Sandy and I had grand schemes to save each other if someone tried to break in our apartments.  We decided that we would pound on the wall to alert the other to our need.  One night she had decided to try our plan. I was awakened by a pounding on our patio door.  I jumped up and staggered to the door.  She said "What the hell is wrong with you?  I've been throwing furniture at the wall for 15 minutes!"  So much for the plan, but isn't it great to have friends and memories like that?  How sad it would be not to have those belly laughs.  You know the ones that make you shake all over?  I love to make our very old friend, Dorothy, laugh.  She laughs from head to toe and usually has to wipe her eyes.  Now, that has to be good for your insides.  I know it's good for our hearts!

When we got back home yesterday and we checked our emails we found a sweet email about girl friends from Sandy.  Bob actually opened it and said, "Honey, you have to see this."  OMG, it is a picture of what I think we all look like from behind, at least in my brain, it's what us Diva's look like!  Let me know what you think.  I would give a lot to be able to give the artist credit for this wonderful piece of art work!  It sums up what good girl friends are all about.  Bob says that it is almost life changing imagining what they are saying and where they might be going and knowing that not one of them cares about the destination...it's the going that matters! I tried to tell you, "He's such a girl!"


                                   Who ever you are dear artist, you have great girl friends, don't you!
                                                         It's a great prescription for a good life.

1 comment:

  1. OMG Sharon, I love this. Starting with your vinegar solution to a problem (thank you for that) to your darling story, to the adorable picture of the Divas. Yes, in my mind that is all of us together. Us girls. Thanks for sharing like you do. I love to read your Gopher Hill Cottage stories...it makes me feel like I'm right there with you. I love you. And Bob.

    ReplyDelete