Use nine: Try softening brushes that are hardened with old, dried-in paint by boiling them in vinegar and let them stand for one hour. Then heat the vinegar and brushes come to a gentle boil. Simmer for 20 minutes. Rinse well, working the softened paint out of the bristles. For extremely heavy paint encrustations, you may need to repeat the process...or head to the hardware store.

Use ten: A little vinegar and salt added to the water you wash leafy green vegetables will float out bugs and kill germs.

Use eleven: Soak or simmer stuck-on food in 2 cups of water and 1/2 cup of vinegar. The food will soften and lift off in a few minutes.

Use twelve: Clean and freshen the garbage disposal by running a tray of ice cubes, with 1/2 cup of vinegar poured over them, through it once a week.

Use thirteen: In a pinch, you can use equal parts of lemon juice and vinegar to clean brass and copper. On difficult areas add a little salt to the mix for some abrasive action.

Saturday, August 21, 2010

59. Eat, Pray, Love

Do you like to read?  We love it!  I usually read out loud to Bob.  I read in the car on the way to town, I read in the car on the way to L.A. or any where else we happen to go.  The last thing we do at night is snuggle down in the covers and I read out loud for about 45 minutes before lights out.  It is a wonderful connection for us.  But the last week has been a little different.  I still read as I have explained, but I have added another time slot just for me. 

When Trisha was here she talked about the book, "Eat, Pray, Love."  She hadn't read it yet but had it in her carry-on.  I didn't think it would be something Bob would particularly enjoy...oh, he would listen to it and not complain, but I figured it was a kind of girlie thing...the author's side of divorce.  I'll get the dvd from Netflix and he will watch it, but that is only a couple of hours and he can always go in the bedroom and watch the History Channel if he loses interest.  He does rather enjoy a good "Chick Flick."  (except for the Pride and Prejudice ones...he calls them ribbons and bonnets and way too much time on their hands)  At any rate, the library only had the book on  cd, so I decided I'd listen to it instead of waiting to read it.  I've been looking for the time to repair Preston's beautiful airplane quilt the Bob's cousin, Carolyn Sue, made for him.  He has loved it nearly to death.  The airplanes were hanging in near tatters.  The thought of just sitting there repairing each plane was more like a chore and I knew I would just put it off dreading doing something that I really don't have a fondness for...quilting.

Ah ha! My perfect opportunity to multitask and not feel guilty for just laying there and reading to my self.  I know that is silly, no one cares if I just lay there and read, but I feel like such a lagger when I do.  But this way I can work on the quilt and listen to the story at the same time!  I must admit that it is rather nice to listen to a book.  It will be interesting to see what my retention is like just listening like that.  I did find out that I can't just lay there and listen.  I fell asleep right away.

The book is really good and insightful, especially the part in India, but then I'm partial to Yoga and meditation.  She is quite the author and has done her research.  Of course, you must realize she IS an author and she got the money up front for this book after selling the idea to her editor.  So she was able to take the year and get paid for it too.  Not that that is bad or makes the book less readable, just something to keep in mind.  

Preston's quilt is almost finished and I must say it has been a pleasure to sit and have someone read to me for a change. 

No comments:

Post a Comment