Use nine: Try softening brushes that are hardened with old, dried-in paint by boiling them in vinegar and let them stand for one hour. Then heat the vinegar and brushes come to a gentle boil. Simmer for 20 minutes. Rinse well, working the softened paint out of the bristles. For extremely heavy paint encrustations, you may need to repeat the process...or head to the hardware store.

Use ten: A little vinegar and salt added to the water you wash leafy green vegetables will float out bugs and kill germs.

Use eleven: Soak or simmer stuck-on food in 2 cups of water and 1/2 cup of vinegar. The food will soften and lift off in a few minutes.

Use twelve: Clean and freshen the garbage disposal by running a tray of ice cubes, with 1/2 cup of vinegar poured over them, through it once a week.

Use thirteen: In a pinch, you can use equal parts of lemon juice and vinegar to clean brass and copper. On difficult areas add a little salt to the mix for some abrasive action.

Monday, March 8, 2010

20. Maggie, Me and Oscar




Well, last night we watched the Oscars.  I'm not sure why I watch them, but Maggie was so excited so we did.  Bob usually watches at least part of the event, not because he really cares but because I do.  I love seeing all the dresses and the hairdos.  One of the announcers out of KTLA on the red carpet looked like she let her first grader do the back of her hairstyle or lack there of.  I guess if she couldn't see it it didn't matter.  Maybe she was excited when she left the house and her husband was just glad to see her finally leave that he didn't mention it.  At any rate someone somewhere along the line should have spoken up. Maybe I just expect too much, what with all the money they have.

The red carpet thing was a little weak this year.  It felt like they had trouble getting people to stop so they talked way too long to the ones who did.  One of the channels had a bird's eye view of the red carpet and talked about the weather and who they could almost see down below.  I'm not sure who's idea that was.  I channel hopped for a while in hopes it would get better, but it didn't.

Now, I love Steve Martin, I can take or leave Alec Baldwin, but who ever wrote for them was not so hot.  I do remember one year when it was really good.  That was the year of the writer's strike and they had to write their own jokes.  It was actually really good.  This year they spent about 15 minutes talking to the folks in the front rows...a complete waste of time in my book.  Just get on with the awards!

Finally, this year most of the dresses were lovely.  A few with too many ruffles and flounces but mostly just very lovely.  Several of them complained about people stepping on their trains.  Well, hello, if it drags 3 feet behind you, in a crowd it's probably going to get stepped on.  It's not a wedding and there are more folks going down the aisle besides you.

I was glad to see Jeff Bridges win and, of course, Sandra Bullock.  I have to say she should have worn her hair like normal and the softer lipstick, but that's just me.  I loved when she said "God bless the mother's for taking care of babies and children no matter where they come from."  Amen to that. Imagine the pride of the first woman director to win "Best Director."  Against her ex-husband for "Avatar!" I'm sure all the nominees were worthy.  We haven't seen most of the  movies yet.  We have Netflix so eventually we will see them.  I don't know if we will watch "The Hurt Locker."  Those kinds of movies are so realisitic now, it's too heart-wrenching for me.  We will see.  We loved "Avatar" and "Up."

After the Oscars I watched the last Barbara Walters interview.  Bob decided to play Solitary, he thinks she is just way too pompus.  He can't get past the time she asked someone "If you could be a tree, what kind of tree would you be?"  I have to concur, it was a silly question.  She said this was her last one for the Oscars because she was..."Sick of doing them."  Hmmm,  I think she could have chosen a better way of saying it.  She said it several times as if once wasn't enough.  I've never really cared for her but have watched some of the shows because I was interested in who was being interviewed.  Sandra Bullock looked lovely with the regular hair-do and soft lipstick.  She was sweet.  A nice way to end those interviews.

Maggie and I decided it was still worth watching and we put her tiara back in it's box for safekeeping for next year.  Before we know it, March will be here again and they will be stretching the red carpet and Wolfgang Puck will be making chocolate statuettes.  Getting ready to feed people who are so rich, they don't ever have to pay for anything.   Hmm, I wonder why it works that way?

1 comment:

  1. Look at Maggie. Where did you get her beautiful tiara? I can tell she is loved so much. Maybe we should put this picture in Mabel's page? Maggie the Movie Star. Oh la la.
    Remember when BOB HOPE used to emcee the Oscars? Remember Bob Hope?!!! Performing for our troops overseas, with Ann Margaret. Well I bought US Stamps today and I love buying ones that are cute...and they have a sheet of Bob Hope stamps. So I had to buy them.
    You are doing so good on Gopher Hill. Stay warm and dry.
    Say, are you drawing now, or painting? Are you wanting to?

    Love,
    Susie

    ReplyDelete