Use nine: Try softening brushes that are hardened with old, dried-in paint by boiling them in vinegar and let them stand for one hour. Then heat the vinegar and brushes come to a gentle boil. Simmer for 20 minutes. Rinse well, working the softened paint out of the bristles. For extremely heavy paint encrustations, you may need to repeat the process...or head to the hardware store.

Use ten: A little vinegar and salt added to the water you wash leafy green vegetables will float out bugs and kill germs.

Use eleven: Soak or simmer stuck-on food in 2 cups of water and 1/2 cup of vinegar. The food will soften and lift off in a few minutes.

Use twelve: Clean and freshen the garbage disposal by running a tray of ice cubes, with 1/2 cup of vinegar poured over them, through it once a week.

Use thirteen: In a pinch, you can use equal parts of lemon juice and vinegar to clean brass and copper. On difficult areas add a little salt to the mix for some abrasive action.

Monday, March 15, 2010

21. Baby Beanies




Getting older, for the most part, has been just fine, so far.  A few more aches and pains but nothing unbearable.  I have a little more spare time and there isn't much on television that is worth my full attention.  Besides my mom was sure that "Idle hands were the Devil's workshop."  So I started trying to think of something at least a little charitable to do to give back to the world and honor our daughter, Tracy. She passed away several years ago to breast cancer.  It's something you never really get over, you just get better at not dwelling on it.

I know in these crazy times you have to be careful and check organizations credentials.  Unfortunately, we also don't have a lot of money to donate, but I do have that spare time and a spot in my heart that needs warming.

Along those lines, many years ago my mother-in-law heard of an organization that was collecting the strip that opened the cellophane wrapper on cigarette packs.  Each strip counted as money towards medical treatment for lung cancer patients.  Well, we collected, we convinced friends to collect, the square dance clubs we were involved in collected for us.  You could find them everywhere you looked because so many people smoked then.  By the time we finished we had amassed quite a bag full.  We called the Cancer Society, we called cigarette companies, we called the newspapers and the television new stations.  No one had heard of such a
thing.  We were so disappointed.  I couldn't bear to throw them away so I filled a decorative bottle (a large decorative bottle) with them.  I still have it today, just as a silly reminder of all the fun times Billie and I had searching for those little strips, heads down, elbows up scanning the ground all to help victims of the product we were gathering.

A few weeks ago my friend, Susie, sent me information about an organization she had read about in the Bullhead, Arizona newspaper.   The organization was named "Stitches from the Heart."  They collect knitted and crocheted baby items for premature babies as well as toddlers in underprivileged areas.  I was at once delighted.  I have odd balls of yarn left over from any number of projects that I couldn't make myself toss out.
I called the number and to my great pleasure someone answered the phone and assured me they did indeed accept baby items.  I asked about sizes and she said "You make it, we will find a head to fit it!" 

I downloaded several very easy patterns from their website.  One hat in particular, is very, very easy.  In two weeks of evenings, I created a dozen peanut sized hats.  They are the sweetest things.  Our Tracy loved to crochet.  She only knew one stitch, but she was prolific!  I can only imagine how many tiny baby blankets she would make if she were here to help me.  I know she is here in spirit and my heart is warm with the thought.
I've made a tiny heart label with her name in the middle to attach to each tiny hat I send.

If you love to knit or crochet, there is always room for more ladies who don't believe in idle hands and have that spot that needs warming!  Or if you have a few partial balls of yarn taking up space in the closet or under the bed, I'd love to be the recipient of your good will. 3026 Tepusquet Rd., Santa Maria, CA 93454

More that half a million babies are born premature in the United States each year.  The rate of premature births has risen 36% since the 1980's!  That's a lot of beanies needed for itty bitty heads and I'm a Mema on a mission!  Won't you join me?
http://www.marchofdimes.com/professionals/25079_1157.asp


Eyelet Hat
Using worsted yarn (#6 needle)
Cast on 50 sts, work ribbing of K2, P2 for 2"
Work stockinette stitch for 1", end with purl row.
(K1, K2 tog, YO, K2 tog) across row.
Purl across row
Work stockinette stitch for 1" end with purl row.
(K1, K2 tog, YO, K2 tog) across row
Work in stockinette st until hat measures 5", end with purl row.
***K2 tog across row***
                                          Purl across row
                                          Repeat ***to***
                                          Break yarn leaving about 6 inches, pull through stitches, knot securely and weave
                                          seam with same yarn.  Fluff ball optional.
                                      
                                          Send to "Stitches from the Heart"
                                                        3316 Pico Blvd.
                                                        Santa Monica, CA 90405
                                                www.stitchesfromtheheart.org

3 comments:

  1. My friend Sharon...you are the best.
    I love you. That's all I can say.
    And I know you know and feel all the
    other words that are unsaid.

    I love the beanie hat and what you are doing.

    Susie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sharon, a good reminder I have heard of this group. I am a big knitter, yes, can you believe I knit. Plus I have soooooooooooo much yarn.
    xoxo
    Donna Lee

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sharon, I love what you are doing with the baby beanies. You are always doing something nice for and thoughtful for someone else. Love, Dorothy

    ReplyDelete