Use nine: Try softening brushes that are hardened with old, dried-in paint by boiling them in vinegar and let them stand for one hour. Then heat the vinegar and brushes come to a gentle boil. Simmer for 20 minutes. Rinse well, working the softened paint out of the bristles. For extremely heavy paint encrustations, you may need to repeat the process...or head to the hardware store.

Use ten: A little vinegar and salt added to the water you wash leafy green vegetables will float out bugs and kill germs.

Use eleven: Soak or simmer stuck-on food in 2 cups of water and 1/2 cup of vinegar. The food will soften and lift off in a few minutes.

Use twelve: Clean and freshen the garbage disposal by running a tray of ice cubes, with 1/2 cup of vinegar poured over them, through it once a week.

Use thirteen: In a pinch, you can use equal parts of lemon juice and vinegar to clean brass and copper. On difficult areas add a little salt to the mix for some abrasive action.

Sunday, July 11, 2010

52. Note to Self: Always Label!

The early morning fog and barometric pressure gives me a headache.  I can feel it before I open my eyes.  Bob on the other hand welcomes the coolness.  He is out of bed and off to weed whack.  Our friend, Susan, does most of their weed abatement and last week she was sporting a new light weight hard hat with noise canceling ear phones and a heavy mesh face shield.  Bob was drooling with envy.  By the time I made it to the rental agency that was having the sale, they had one left.  Woo Hoo!  He is a happy man and the meadow needs to beware, no weed is safe now!  He will be looking for errant weeds to whack.


Our neighbors moved out last week and Pat, our land lady, said we could have anything left that we wanted.  Well, today I'm gathering all the large rocks that aren't in concrete and I have my eye on several lemons on the prolific tree by the driveway.  I'm going to squeeze and zest them and freeze the juice and zest in ice cube trays.  Then the cubes can be transferred to labeled (emphasis labeled) freezer bags for future use.

One time when I was young, (maybe twenty five) several of my relatives were visiting from Iowa and they wanted to see our new home.  This sort of thing always made me just a little bit nervous, not having had much experience in entertaining.  The living room was full and the weather was warm so I decided I would make a couple of pitchers of lemonade.  I had a bag full of cubes from my mother-in-law, Billie, in the freezer.  I pulled them out and poured some hot water over them to thaw the frozen cubes.  Bob was helping me and noticed a rather panicked look on my face.  "What's wrong, Honey?"  "Oh, please no!"  I replied! " They aren't lemon juice!  It's chicken broth!"  Ice water had to suffice and I was able to keep it together until they left before I dissolved into tears.  So a word to the wise, label, baby, label! 

About three weeks ago I splurged and bought one of those Food Saver devices.  It is the sort of thing that vacuum packs food so ice crystals don't form inside the bag.  I got tired of loose bags and saran wrappings and things in all shapes and sizes inhabiting my freezers.  My friend, Dort, has had one for years and loves it.  Well, I'm here to tell you that it is wonderful!  I even bought a couple of plastic containers for lunch meat and cheese.  Someone we know and love refuses to close the plastic zip lock bag when he sneaks a piece.  When confronted he looks at me like I have lobsters crawling out my ears and swears it wasn't him and this is the first time he has heard of the need to close it anyway.  We will see how long it takes him to learn how to seal this!  My guess is that he will stop taking pieces rather than learn. My pleasure may be two-fold.

Well, I'm off to scavenge rocks and pick lemons.  Ahh, it's a good day in the canyon!

No comments:

Post a Comment