Use nine: Try softening brushes that are hardened with old, dried-in paint by boiling them in vinegar and let them stand for one hour. Then heat the vinegar and brushes come to a gentle boil. Simmer for 20 minutes. Rinse well, working the softened paint out of the bristles. For extremely heavy paint encrustations, you may need to repeat the process...or head to the hardware store.

Use ten: A little vinegar and salt added to the water you wash leafy green vegetables will float out bugs and kill germs.

Use eleven: Soak or simmer stuck-on food in 2 cups of water and 1/2 cup of vinegar. The food will soften and lift off in a few minutes.

Use twelve: Clean and freshen the garbage disposal by running a tray of ice cubes, with 1/2 cup of vinegar poured over them, through it once a week.

Use thirteen: In a pinch, you can use equal parts of lemon juice and vinegar to clean brass and copper. On difficult areas add a little salt to the mix for some abrasive action.

Friday, October 8, 2010

69. Slip Sliding Away...

This morning it is gray and drizzly out my living room window.  It was so hot for a while that it is rather pleasant to have things rinsed off and cool.  I'm trying to teach myself to enjoy the day no matter what the weather, to try to be glad when it is hot because the plants will grow and I can squirt to my heart's content early in the morning or after dinner when there is a little breeze.  Then be glad when it's cool and drippy so I can stay inside and tackle a chore like a closet or cabinet, while a big pot of chili simmers on the stove. 

You might guess that I have just returned from a visit with my dad.  I guess when I visit him I think a lot about trying to enjoy each day and not miss something because I'm cranky for no good reason.  As he slowly goes slip sliding away, the reasons to pay attention to each and every day become more apparent.  He doesn't even sit outside to count the cars that go in and out of the medical building parking lot across the street anymore.  It's sad when you sink to that level of entertainment, sad to me at any rate.  Six months ago he was still an avid Soduko fan and really loved 1000 piece jig-saw puzzles.  He struggles to do 300 pieces now and I'm too much like an ostrich to ask about the Soduko.  He did manage to play Bingo on Tuesday and that made my sister, Becky, and I happy. 

Life has zigs and zags and ups and downs and we have to accept our fate.  It's the in between's of all those zig, zag, up and down times we have to remember to simply enjoy.  A little gay abandon should be thrown in amongst it all and what would be wrong with some crazy squealing?  You know the kind that they show girls doing in the movies when something really exciting happens to one of them.  Let's not be shy with our excitement and pleasure in the little things in life.  My daddy always told me not to act so silly and be lady-like...I'm choosing to believe he was very, very wrong.

Taken two or three years ago.                                         

No comments:

Post a Comment