Use nine: Try softening brushes that are hardened with old, dried-in paint by boiling them in vinegar and let them stand for one hour. Then heat the vinegar and brushes come to a gentle boil. Simmer for 20 minutes. Rinse well, working the softened paint out of the bristles. For extremely heavy paint encrustations, you may need to repeat the process...or head to the hardware store.

Use ten: A little vinegar and salt added to the water you wash leafy green vegetables will float out bugs and kill germs.

Use eleven: Soak or simmer stuck-on food in 2 cups of water and 1/2 cup of vinegar. The food will soften and lift off in a few minutes.

Use twelve: Clean and freshen the garbage disposal by running a tray of ice cubes, with 1/2 cup of vinegar poured over them, through it once a week.

Use thirteen: In a pinch, you can use equal parts of lemon juice and vinegar to clean brass and copper. On difficult areas add a little salt to the mix for some abrasive action.

Friday, October 15, 2010

72. Back Under the Covers.

When the dentist talks about a "dry socket" the next time I have a tooth pulled, you can be sure I will have a healthier respect for his instructions.  I chose to have a tooth extracted (highly unlike me, I want to go to my "Celestial Fandango" with as many of my own teeth as possible) because it was very slanted and was causing problems with my tongue.  Paul told me to keep the gauze pack in place for two hours with pressure.  I am so very literal that I followed the instructions to the minute.  The gauze looked like I thought it should when I finally tossed it and my lunch was half of a Costco frozen yogurt.  All things seemed well until about seven that evening when the rest of the local wore off.  Good Grief!!! That was eight days ago and it is still unbelievably painful!  I have taken so much pain medication that now it feels like someone has punched me in the gut.  My darling sweet dentist says it will last like this until the gum grows back over the gaping hole.  Bob says it doesn't look gaping...but what does he know?!  At any rate, I'm not worth a darn.  Ice packs, heating pads...you would think that I just had major surgery.

I feel like such a baby!  I've gone outside and tried yard work and fresh air; shopping doesn't even sound appealing.  I have two ten dollar coupons for Kohl's and I don't even feel like going there.  This is serious, really serious.  Free stuff doesn't even sound like fun.  At least last night it didn't wake me up at three a.m., so that must mean progress.  I've run out of soft foods to fix and Bob's not fond of soup.  He never complains, but always welcomes a grilled cheese, corn bread or biscuits as an accompaniment.

I knew I should have just put up with the weird enlarged gland in my tongue.  Nerve damage deterred me from having it removed instead of the tooth.  Only time will tell if I made the right decision.  Children in China are starving and I'm whining about a dry socket.  I guess it is all perspective isn't it.  At least this will eventually get better.  So, now I've put it in perspective and I feel better already, or is it just that the pain meds have kicked in.  I think I'll go back to bed with Maggie and pull the covers over my head, that always makes me feel better.

No comments:

Post a Comment