Use nine: Try softening brushes that are hardened with old, dried-in paint by boiling them in vinegar and let them stand for one hour. Then heat the vinegar and brushes come to a gentle boil. Simmer for 20 minutes. Rinse well, working the softened paint out of the bristles. For extremely heavy paint encrustations, you may need to repeat the process...or head to the hardware store.

Use ten: A little vinegar and salt added to the water you wash leafy green vegetables will float out bugs and kill germs.

Use eleven: Soak or simmer stuck-on food in 2 cups of water and 1/2 cup of vinegar. The food will soften and lift off in a few minutes.

Use twelve: Clean and freshen the garbage disposal by running a tray of ice cubes, with 1/2 cup of vinegar poured over them, through it once a week.

Use thirteen: In a pinch, you can use equal parts of lemon juice and vinegar to clean brass and copper. On difficult areas add a little salt to the mix for some abrasive action.

Tuesday, February 16, 2010

16. No Good Deed Goes Unpunished!




Bob and I are truly blessed to have many friends from our school days.  Some we see often and others have moved far and away, but we are still able to keep in touch in part because of the ease of the internet.  While I love the World Wide Web, it has robbed us of some of the personal touches.  When did you last receive a hand written letter or a thank you card?  It is so uncommon that it really gets people's attention. 

Our daughter, Trisha, and grandson, Robby, live in Switzerland, due to circumstances beyond her control, she found the need of an apartment.  After looking for several weeks, she found one that was perfect for her and Robby.  She called and said "Mom, I found an apartment today.  It's in a good neighborhood and it is just charming.  However, there were so many people that came to see it, I can't imagine that we will get it.  I filled out the papers and took them back in about two hours and he was still showing the apartment.  I'm a little discouraged."

Since I'm a little old fashioned, I told her to send a thank you card "right this minute!  In today's mail!"  Trisha was a little skeptical, but followed through.  She called three days later and said "Mom!  I got the apartment!  He called and said that there were so many applicants but he felt compelled to give it to me because I took the time and initiative to follow up with a card!"  Imagine that!  A sea of applicants and she stood out because of a hand written thank you! 

Good manners DO count! No matter how small and insignificant the gesture may seem, people do notice.  Today is so fast paced and busy and so many people are barely getting  by that they are cross and worried and fearful.  If we all take a minute and do something nice even if it is to hold a door open for someone, or make eye contact with someone in a wheel-chair, I guarantee you will be repaid ten fold! We can't change the whole world, (the evening news makes that abundantly clear) but "Oh, what a difference we can make!"  With one little gesture, a personal thank you note, a smile where it is unexpected, a door opened for someone less fortunate than you...it is amazing how good you will feel inside. 

Sometimes it will give you a good laugh, too.  One day I went to a coffee place next door to where I worked.  When I paid for my coffee I gave her two extra dollars and said "Pay for the next person's coffee for me."  She smiled and about that time a lady came in.  The employee said, "This is your lucky day, this nice lady here wants to buy your coffee."  The customer looked at me and said in a cranky voice, "WHY!"  I smiled said, " It seemed like a good idea at the time."



When our son, Bud, was about six, when I went to the bank he would stand at the door and open it for people who were coming and going.  Banks are usually pretty busy so several people were greeted by his happy little face.  He was always a sweet little boy and I didn't think much about it.  Then one day he said, "Mommy, I always count how many people say 'Thank you' when I hold the door for them.  Today only one person said it.  How come most people don't say it?"  I told him that I guessed that folks were just so busy that they didn't notice, but to keep up the good work because his satisfaction was it's own reward.  It is, you know!  No one needs to know but you.  We have all heard of doing random acts of kindness. What was the last one you did?  Mine are fewer and farther between than they should be, but I'm going to work on that! 


Let's all make a "pinky finger promise" to do better!  Imagine what a fabulous place this would be!









1 comment:

  1. My dear friend, Sharon!
    I love this blog on doing random acts of kindness and also saying thank you - and just having nice manners.

    Often it seems nice manners are a thing of the past, doesn't it.

    This piece you wrote could be a single book of it's own - for children or anyone actually, but our youth needs more encouragement to be polite and have good manners.

    What a gift to read what you wrote.
    Thank you, Sharon.

    Love,
    Susie Russell-Melendez

    ReplyDelete