Use nine: Try softening brushes that are hardened with old, dried-in paint by boiling them in vinegar and let them stand for one hour. Then heat the vinegar and brushes come to a gentle boil. Simmer for 20 minutes. Rinse well, working the softened paint out of the bristles. For extremely heavy paint encrustations, you may need to repeat the process...or head to the hardware store.

Use ten: A little vinegar and salt added to the water you wash leafy green vegetables will float out bugs and kill germs.

Use eleven: Soak or simmer stuck-on food in 2 cups of water and 1/2 cup of vinegar. The food will soften and lift off in a few minutes.

Use twelve: Clean and freshen the garbage disposal by running a tray of ice cubes, with 1/2 cup of vinegar poured over them, through it once a week.

Use thirteen: In a pinch, you can use equal parts of lemon juice and vinegar to clean brass and copper. On difficult areas add a little salt to the mix for some abrasive action.

Monday, February 8, 2010

13. They ain't the "Ain'ts" No mo'!

Well, what do you know?!  Not only did the Saints finally get to the Super Bowl, they won!  They had picked up the nick name "The Ain'ts" because people thought it ain't never gonna happen.  I've never been much of a football fan.  Bob used to watch the Cowboys play a long time ago and he and Bud have been to a couple of games in Dallas, but that was a long time ago, too. We usually watch the Super Bowl, mostly to see the commercials. We have had Super Bowl parties, but not since we moved to the country.  This time though we had to watch 'cause ya gotta root for the underdog!  Our son, Bud, has been a die-hard Saints fan for years, but never thought this would happen.

I have to admit that I did enjoy it.  A few of the commercials were good. We loved the one with Betty White and Abe Vigoda (we thought he was dead.)  I think the ad was for Snickers, also the Doritos one when the dog took off his bark collar and put it on the guy who wouldn't give him a chip and then barked and took the bag.  What a hoot!

Years ago when our kids were small we used to go to Mt. Sac and watch high school football games.  It was a fun and inexpensive thing to do.  I liked the hot chocolate and just the pleasure of getting out of the house was enough reason for me to go.  We had been going for, oh, I guess about 3 years and in the middle of a game, I leaned over to Bob and said, "Honey, what's a down?"  "What?" he said.  "You've got to be kidding.  After all this time your finally asking what a down is?"  I said, "I guess I just got curious."  Sometimes men just don't get it.  Going had nothing to do with the game to me.  I loved to people watch and have my chocolate and I really loved the half-time when it was really a half-time.  When the school bands and drill teams could show their stuff.

I didn't have hot chocolate yesterday and there weren't any people to watch, but I did fix us a figure friendly snack. (The figure friendly part was very important to Bob.)  Not that we need snacks, it just seemed with the Super Bowl and all, it might be un-American  to just sit there and not eat something.

All-American Guacamole and Pita Chips
1 ripe avocado
Home made salsa
      1 can diced tomatoes -can use fresh if you have 2 or 3  that are really ripe
      1 small fresh onion diced
      1 small can of diced Ortega green chilies
       Fresh cilantro chopped (optional)
      3 diced or grated garlic cloves
      1 T. olive oil
      2 T. green taco sauce
      Combine ingredients and enjoy.  Like most of these things, it's better tomorrow.

OR   you can use any redi-made salsa

Mash avocado and add salsa until it's to your taste.
Take your fresh Pita breads and separate the two halves and spray them with Pam or other spray oil.
Sprinkle with your favorite spice.  I happen to like garlic salt.  Cut them in pieces and place on pan.  I have
a nice cooling rack that I cook them on.  They get toasted without having to turn them.  Turn your oven on to 350 and put the pita in the cold oven.  When the oven beeps that it has reached temperature, turn it off and in about 10 minutes the chips are toasted crisp.

If you are pointing, one whole pita is (3) (makes a pile of chips)and 1/3 of the dip is (3).  I put mine on my own plate and chowed down!  That and a virgin Bloody Mary made with Clamato(0) and all spiced up, I felt very wicked indeed!
I feel better about the Saints and are very happy for them and Louisiana.  I know they must be so excited.  I have to admit though, I still don't understand just exactly what a down is.

No comments:

Post a Comment