Use nine: Try softening brushes that are hardened with old, dried-in paint by boiling them in vinegar and let them stand for one hour. Then heat the vinegar and brushes come to a gentle boil. Simmer for 20 minutes. Rinse well, working the softened paint out of the bristles. For extremely heavy paint encrustations, you may need to repeat the process...or head to the hardware store.

Use ten: A little vinegar and salt added to the water you wash leafy green vegetables will float out bugs and kill germs.

Use eleven: Soak or simmer stuck-on food in 2 cups of water and 1/2 cup of vinegar. The food will soften and lift off in a few minutes.

Use twelve: Clean and freshen the garbage disposal by running a tray of ice cubes, with 1/2 cup of vinegar poured over them, through it once a week.

Use thirteen: In a pinch, you can use equal parts of lemon juice and vinegar to clean brass and copper. On difficult areas add a little salt to the mix for some abrasive action.

Saturday, November 6, 2010

75. OOOO, Those Visuals!

Sometimes life and economics interferes with everything.  It has been too long since my last post and for that I apologize.  We went to Pomona for the Engineer's exam which has a half day of orientation and two twelve hour days on concrete.  It becomes abundantly clear that we are aging or at the very least that we are really out of shape.  I'm choosing to think that we are out of shape.  I don't feel my age until we do something like that or, of course, when I catch myself in a mirror.  Then it comes crashing in on me how much I have aged.  I'm ok with aging I just don't like being reminded.

My skin is a dead give away.  I'm happy, really happy that I have lost thirty pounds, however, if I was wrinkly before I'm really wrinkly now.  It's a small price to pay for the increase in energy and the ability to get out of the recliner without having to rock back and forth to build up momentum.  I guess you have to take the bitter with the sweet and it feels soooooo good to slide on jeans that have hung on the closet door waiting patiently for me to get small enough and brave enough to try them one more time.  Close your eyes and feel pure bliss when the zipper just slides up without having to lay on the bed and suck it in and pray for success in zipping.

At this weeks  Weight Watcher's meeting the leader passed out a poem  penned by the ever prolific Anonymous and I think most every dieter could agree to.  I hope you get a good laugh like we all did.

                                                A Dieter's Prayer

                              Lord, grant me the strength that I may not fall
                              Into the clutches of cholesterol.
                              At polyunsaturates, I'll never mutter,
                              For the road to hell is paved with butter.
                              And cake is cursed and cream is awful
                              Satan is hiding in every waffle.
                              Beelzebub is a chocolate drop
                              Lucifer is a lollipop.
                              Teach me the evils of hollandaise,
                              Of pasta and gobs of mayonnaise.
                              And crisp fried chicken from the South...
                              Lord, if you love me, shut my mouth!

1 comment:

  1. What a darling post, Sharon...as ususal.
    I think standing on concrete for many hours in a day really does make us feel the ache in our body. It does me too.
    How awesome you have lost 30 pounds. It's not easy to do and I admire you for doing it.
    I can relate to your looking in the mirror and thinking quickly, who the hell is that...ha ha. My wrinkles just keep on a coming. But my eyes still twinkle.
    Love you.
    Susie

    ReplyDelete