Use nine: Try softening brushes that are hardened with old, dried-in paint by boiling them in vinegar and let them stand for one hour. Then heat the vinegar and brushes come to a gentle boil. Simmer for 20 minutes. Rinse well, working the softened paint out of the bristles. For extremely heavy paint encrustations, you may need to repeat the process...or head to the hardware store.

Use ten: A little vinegar and salt added to the water you wash leafy green vegetables will float out bugs and kill germs.

Use eleven: Soak or simmer stuck-on food in 2 cups of water and 1/2 cup of vinegar. The food will soften and lift off in a few minutes.

Use twelve: Clean and freshen the garbage disposal by running a tray of ice cubes, with 1/2 cup of vinegar poured over them, through it once a week.

Use thirteen: In a pinch, you can use equal parts of lemon juice and vinegar to clean brass and copper. On difficult areas add a little salt to the mix for some abrasive action.

Friday, June 24, 2011

125. What a View!

I find myself with six over ripe peaches.  It is not in me to toss them so I'm going to simmer them and with a little cornstarch to the liquid I'll have lovely peaches in syrup to serve over the extra biscuits that I made for Bob this morning.  It's Father's Day and he elected to have a pork chop, eggs and biscuits. 

We celebrated at Bud's house yesterday with tri-tip and ribs.  Yum! The fellows went to the car show in Pismo Beach.  Patty and I visited while she trimmed the beautiful bank of white roses that line their fence.  There are few places you could live that have their magnificent view.   It is an unobstructed expanse of ocean.  Their place is small but the front yard goes on forever.



Preston is going to come visiting three days every other week this summer.  We have made a schedule and plans to fill the days.  One day we will head to the Santa Barbara Zoo for a picnic and a view of the new baby giraffe.  When the zoo was gifted the momma no one knew she was pregnant.  Surprise!  Preston wants to earn some money so we have fences to paint and probably a rock safari or two...a girl can't have too many rocks.  I have my eye on a tree that I think needs a platform for sitting.  Heavy sigh from Bob.   So, I think we can fill the summer with a little fun.  We will eat our fill of pancakes and Rocky Road ice cream and throw in a bit of target practice with the ol' Red Rider B B guns.  I'll have to check the ammo.  It wouldn't do to be short of that.  And to think, my grandmother's idea of fun was to have me polish the apples in the bowl on the dining room table.

No comments:

Post a Comment