Use nine: Try softening brushes that are hardened with old, dried-in paint by boiling them in vinegar and let them stand for one hour. Then heat the vinegar and brushes come to a gentle boil. Simmer for 20 minutes. Rinse well, working the softened paint out of the bristles. For extremely heavy paint encrustations, you may need to repeat the process...or head to the hardware store.

Use ten: A little vinegar and salt added to the water you wash leafy green vegetables will float out bugs and kill germs.

Use eleven: Soak or simmer stuck-on food in 2 cups of water and 1/2 cup of vinegar. The food will soften and lift off in a few minutes.

Use twelve: Clean and freshen the garbage disposal by running a tray of ice cubes, with 1/2 cup of vinegar poured over them, through it once a week.

Use thirteen: In a pinch, you can use equal parts of lemon juice and vinegar to clean brass and copper. On difficult areas add a little salt to the mix for some abrasive action.

Thursday, June 30, 2011

127. Ahh, Country Life.

It's finally hot in the canyon.  I guess June Gloom is gone and summer is here.  That means the deer will be venturing down in the meadows for something cool to drink and green to eat.  Which means the new olive tree we planted and the little dwarf plum tree that has out grown it's fencing.  A trip to the hardware store was on the agenda yesterday to buy a roll of poultry wire for cages and a smaller gauge wire to bum fuddle the gopher.  

The dog hair trick does seem keep them from coming back to those particular holes.  So, I suppose I will have to fill the yard with said hair, but that's OK, as I have time and hair.  Preston, our grandson, was helping me do that last week.  He stopped dead in his tracks and said "Mema, do I have to do the upper and lower meadow, too?"  I laughed at the look on his face and said, "No, baby, we don't care what they do there."  He was visibly relieved.  

I probably wouldn't have taken the dwarf plum when it was offered, if I had given it any thought, because it will forever be in a cage...dwarf...that means buffet height for deer.  Sometimes I'm a little slow on the up take.  Ahh, well, such is life in the country.  I wouldn't trade it for a second, not one second.  Sometimes I wonder how we ever lived in town.  Funny how things happen.  I'm glad there are lots of chapters in our book and this is a particularly good one...now if only Trisha and Robby would come back from the far away Switzerland.  Heavy sigh.


No comments:

Post a Comment