Use nine: Try softening brushes that are hardened with old, dried-in paint by boiling them in vinegar and let them stand for one hour. Then heat the vinegar and brushes come to a gentle boil. Simmer for 20 minutes. Rinse well, working the softened paint out of the bristles. For extremely heavy paint encrustations, you may need to repeat the process...or head to the hardware store.

Use ten: A little vinegar and salt added to the water you wash leafy green vegetables will float out bugs and kill germs.

Use eleven: Soak or simmer stuck-on food in 2 cups of water and 1/2 cup of vinegar. The food will soften and lift off in a few minutes.

Use twelve: Clean and freshen the garbage disposal by running a tray of ice cubes, with 1/2 cup of vinegar poured over them, through it once a week.

Use thirteen: In a pinch, you can use equal parts of lemon juice and vinegar to clean brass and copper. On difficult areas add a little salt to the mix for some abrasive action.

Saturday, January 8, 2011

89. May Your Cup Runneth Over

The new year is in full swing.  It has been beautiful here, but today I'm going to get some silk long johns!  Even with new double-glazed windows this precious little cottage IS FREEZING!  Maybe it's because we are getting older, but what ever the reason, we wait patiently each day for the sun to finally peek over the ridge of hills and warm this canyon.  That doesn't usually happen until about 9 o'clock.  You can't plan much outside after 3:30 because that's when the sun sinks over the ridge on the opposite side.  Our friend of too many years to count, Jeff, came to visit here just after he had retired.  He pulled a chair out into the middle of the yard and said, "Since I retired I have been sitting outside with a glass of wine and a good cigar to watch the glories of the sunset...I just don't usually do it at 3:30."  Silly, but true. 

This time of year most people focus on trying to lose the cookies and other goodies that cling to their hips and tummies.  Then, of course, as if that isn't enough, I think of our burgeoning closets.  Some how cleaning after I take down the Christmas fal-de-rah takes a hold on me and one thing leads to the next and I find myself knee deep in the closets.  If I could just figure out how to get inspired to do that before Christmas others might benefit from my over flow.  But, no, I am struck only after the holidays.  Never the less, it just feels so good when I finally get around to getting rid of things.  

We have a favorite thrift store in town that is cleaner than most and they always have a couple of friendly fellows on staff at their back door to welcome your donations.  It is all so well run and we must not be the only folks who think that because I have purchased some of the nicest things there.  While I have been losing weight, I couldn't just run out and buy a new pair of jeans, etc, so I would head there.  I can't tell you how many things I have found with the tags still in place, obviously never worn.  When my weight would go down again, I would take those back and buy more.  One pair of jeans I fell in love with, I bought even though they were two sizes too small.  I hung them on the closet door until I was able to zip them up!  What a motivator that was!  Thank you, New Image Thrift Store!  Now that I am only 4 pounds from my goal weight I occasionally go to Kole's and splurge.  I am NOT saving my old clothes!  Do you hear me Universe?!  I'm loading them up this week and heading to...you guessed it!  New Image Thrift Store here I come!

I think the internet gives us so much information and a means to re-connect with lost friends.  It also makes us aware of how rich and diverse our planet really is.  But one of my favorite reasons for loving cyber space is all the fabulous photos we would never otherwise get to enjoy.  Here is one of
our favorites.  As with most internet things, I have no idea who to credit.  So, I think it is meant for all of us to enjoy and learn from.

Truly, may your cup runneth over!





1 comment:

  1. I want to go to your Thrift Store -- this year --- when the cold melts away to Spring.
    I'm coming for a visit.

    Love you.
    Susie

    ReplyDelete