Use nine: Try softening brushes that are hardened with old, dried-in paint by boiling them in vinegar and let them stand for one hour. Then heat the vinegar and brushes come to a gentle boil. Simmer for 20 minutes. Rinse well, working the softened paint out of the bristles. For extremely heavy paint encrustations, you may need to repeat the process...or head to the hardware store.

Use ten: A little vinegar and salt added to the water you wash leafy green vegetables will float out bugs and kill germs.

Use eleven: Soak or simmer stuck-on food in 2 cups of water and 1/2 cup of vinegar. The food will soften and lift off in a few minutes.

Use twelve: Clean and freshen the garbage disposal by running a tray of ice cubes, with 1/2 cup of vinegar poured over them, through it once a week.

Use thirteen: In a pinch, you can use equal parts of lemon juice and vinegar to clean brass and copper. On difficult areas add a little salt to the mix for some abrasive action.

Thursday, January 13, 2011

94. Mind Body Continuum

My handy husband has  finished Maggie's new bed.  The last coat of varnish and the addition of stars completed the project today.  Our poor little dog has been waking us up in the middle of the night shivering with cold and having our sleep disturbed makes Sharon not such a happy girl.  Bob has elevated it with an airspace between the bottom and the concrete floor, which even with carpet can get really cold.  A comforter instead of a beach towel will hopefully help, as well.  I know, I know, she is a dog, but her back is also shaved and the little darling has never spent a night outside and if she has any say, she never will, besides we all need our beauty sleep!















I read an article that said the older a person gets the less sleep they need.  I'm suspicious that they didn't actually study seniors.  I, personally, don't know any senior of the male variety that can't sleep at the drop of a hat.  Bob has always been the king of power napping.

A number of studies have concluded that a short period of sleep during the day, a power-nap, does not have any measurable effect on normal circadian rhythms, but can decrease stress and improve productivity.[44][45]
 Twenty minutes and he's ready to start all over again, rejuvenated and fresh.  I tend to get really cranky unless I'm not feeling well, then I'm cranky anyway.  Even when I was young, I needed a good eight hours and I still do.  I watched a segment by Deepak Chopra on the Dr. Oz show one afternoon.  Dr. Oz creeps me out a little for some unknown reason, but I have always admired Dr. Chopra.  Another dear long-time friend, Sue Clark, and I used to have long talks about Dr. Chopra and his approach to healthy, happy living.  He extolled the virtues of sleeping as much as possible between the hours of ten and six.  Circadian rhythm plays an important part in those particular hours.  The link above to our old friend Wikipedia proves to be extremely interesting, if you are so inclined.

Visit Dr. Deepak Chopra's web site


You can visit his site if you want more information on how to live a fuller life.  He is a doctor of internal medicine, as well, and looks at things from more than one point of view.  Certainly, you can take this or leave it, but an open mind is a good thing.

I'm off to the chiropractor to align my body so my mind can be on track.  Keep your fingers crossed.



1 comment:

  1. Sharon and Bob, Maggie's new bed is beautiful and I'm sure she loves it but, what you didn't show is her beautiful pink jammies that you got her. Do you think she is a princess??? I do. But, such a cute one.

    ReplyDelete