Use nine: Try softening brushes that are hardened with old, dried-in paint by boiling them in vinegar and let them stand for one hour. Then heat the vinegar and brushes come to a gentle boil. Simmer for 20 minutes. Rinse well, working the softened paint out of the bristles. For extremely heavy paint encrustations, you may need to repeat the process...or head to the hardware store.

Use ten: A little vinegar and salt added to the water you wash leafy green vegetables will float out bugs and kill germs.

Use eleven: Soak or simmer stuck-on food in 2 cups of water and 1/2 cup of vinegar. The food will soften and lift off in a few minutes.

Use twelve: Clean and freshen the garbage disposal by running a tray of ice cubes, with 1/2 cup of vinegar poured over them, through it once a week.

Use thirteen: In a pinch, you can use equal parts of lemon juice and vinegar to clean brass and copper. On difficult areas add a little salt to the mix for some abrasive action.

Tuesday, January 11, 2011

93. Little Treasures

Well, mending my grandmother's quilt has turned into quite a project.  It 32 years old and certainly worth my effort.  She made it at a time when you could go to the dime store and buy fabric for 39cents a yard.  I'm sure lots of the fabric was purchased there because they have almost all decided to become tissue paper at the same time.  Fortunately, she must have splurged on the white fabric for the back and the main fabric on the front or I would be in a dilemma as to how to repair and not lose her hand stitching.  It has been well used, which is what she would want.  

She didn't start quilting until after my grandfather passed away and then made at least 9 that I know of.  Bow tie was the pattern they were all made in.  She embroidered her name,birthday and date of completion on a corner square, which quilters are wont to do.  It just makes the quilt all that more precious.  I don't think I have any other example of her hand writing which is a little sad.  I have her tortoise shell hand mirror which she personally gave to me when I told her how lovely it was.  She said if I liked it I should have it and not wait until she died.  I cried.




One thing I have learned is that I definitely do not  have the patience for quilting!  Why anyone would consider this fun escapes me.  Not only is it one very expensive hobby, if done right, but my middle finger on my right hand is really sore, even with the band-aid. Just a wimp I guess.



When I have finished, it will be good for another few years.  I don't keep it on the bed anymore because Maggie thinks that is her domain and with her bouncing you can almost hear the hand stitches popping.  I keep it draped over the "pain in the behind to clean" brass headboard that I use as a quilt stand.

We have a small quilt that Bob's great-grandmother made, as well.  It is covered with butterflies and more 39cent fabric.  I'm not sure that I will tackle repairing it.  We are still a little cranky with her because she took all of Bob's fabulous metal tanks and half-tracks she was supposed to keep til their return, to the war scrap drive the minute they drove out of the drive way to take his daddy back to Fort Ord in Monterey, CA.   They were made to scale military equipment with all movable parts that were used in simulated battles on sand tables by military brass. Cotton had won them playing craps with army buddies.  A little boy's treasured possessions.  Bob was the only boy out of all the cousins and I guess she considered him the thorn among the roses.  Still it was mean spirited.  I'm sure she never gave it a second thought, but Bob has carried that in his heart a long time.  They didn't take up much space under the house and the war effort could have done without a little boy's treasure.  I hope in my years as a parent and grandparent I haven't accidentally done something so thoughtless. Just one more thing to worry about!






No comments:

Post a Comment