Use nine: Try softening brushes that are hardened with old, dried-in paint by boiling them in vinegar and let them stand for one hour. Then heat the vinegar and brushes come to a gentle boil. Simmer for 20 minutes. Rinse well, working the softened paint out of the bristles. For extremely heavy paint encrustations, you may need to repeat the process...or head to the hardware store.

Use ten: A little vinegar and salt added to the water you wash leafy green vegetables will float out bugs and kill germs.

Use eleven: Soak or simmer stuck-on food in 2 cups of water and 1/2 cup of vinegar. The food will soften and lift off in a few minutes.

Use twelve: Clean and freshen the garbage disposal by running a tray of ice cubes, with 1/2 cup of vinegar poured over them, through it once a week.

Use thirteen: In a pinch, you can use equal parts of lemon juice and vinegar to clean brass and copper. On difficult areas add a little salt to the mix for some abrasive action.

Wednesday, May 12, 2010

32. May Isn't Only for Flowers!


May is "Skin Cancer Awareness" month.  Bob and I took advantage of the local hospital's free screening.  He didn't have any suspicious spots, but I have one on my chest.  I think it's just a sun spot but I'll go and have it checked again.  The person doing the exam was a dermatologist, but they only spend about ten minutes with you and then refer you to the list of local doctors. 

Sam Champion, the weather guy on Good Morning America, had a basal cell removed  this morning on television.  It was interesting how they tested the tissue samples to be sure they had removed all the offending cells.

My sister had a very ugly Melanoma removed about ten years ago.  It appeared to be only on the surface and didn't have a blood source, or so the surgeon said.  She was extremely lucky.  It was big and looked like those hideous black things pictured on the posters on the dermatologists walls.  Ugh!  But, so far...knock on wood...she has been fine.  Another reason to...I know, I know...live life to the fullest each and every day!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Skin_cancer   Wikipedia to the rescue!

Please do have a quick and painless mole check every year.  Also, I'm issuing another warning!  I expect each and every one of you to have a colonoscopy!  It doesn't hurt.  The liquid you drink isn't horrid.  The only down side and I do mean down, is a good case of the "Missouri Quick Steps!"  But then, that's the point, isn't it?  Clean out the tract so they can get a clear view.  We live seventeen miles out of town, so the ride to the medical center was done with trepidation.  Lady Luck was with me and everything came out just fine in the end.  I need another one done in ten years.  Bob had a polyp removed, so he has to have one done in five years.  You can't catch everything, but by golly we can try.

  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Colonoscopy      


This is your mother signing off with great expectations that you will MIND otherwise...Someone will be taking a NAP!

1 comment:

  1. Yaaaaaaaaaaaaa, for you, my friend Sharon.
    Reminding us all to get the needed things taken care of that MUST be taken care of.

    Please let us/me know how your checkup goes on the little spot they found on your chest.

    When I had the colonoscopy they gave me pills to swallow, every so many hours with just water. That worked so perfect, no bad tastes.

    And I think I lost 2 pounds that day.

    ha ha.

    Love you girl.

    ReplyDelete