Use nine: Try softening brushes that are hardened with old, dried-in paint by boiling them in vinegar and let them stand for one hour. Then heat the vinegar and brushes come to a gentle boil. Simmer for 20 minutes. Rinse well, working the softened paint out of the bristles. For extremely heavy paint encrustations, you may need to repeat the process...or head to the hardware store.

Use ten: A little vinegar and salt added to the water you wash leafy green vegetables will float out bugs and kill germs.

Use eleven: Soak or simmer stuck-on food in 2 cups of water and 1/2 cup of vinegar. The food will soften and lift off in a few minutes.

Use twelve: Clean and freshen the garbage disposal by running a tray of ice cubes, with 1/2 cup of vinegar poured over them, through it once a week.

Use thirteen: In a pinch, you can use equal parts of lemon juice and vinegar to clean brass and copper. On difficult areas add a little salt to the mix for some abrasive action.

Thursday, May 13, 2010

33. Dervish, You Say?


Oh, to rise from sleep like our little dog, Maggie.  Two big stretches and she is off and running, twirling and whirling like a Dervish!  They do whirl, the Dervish.  Bob won tickets from a radio contest to see the Whirling Dervish. We never dreamed we would ever get to see them.  Good grief you say?  Well, I'm here to tell you that the event was sold out.  What an amazing evening.  It is actually a religious service.  It is a part of the Sufi tradition of Islam practiced mostly in Turkey.  I would encourage you to go the link and read about them.  I couldn't do them justice with my explanation.  I wouldn't buy the cd, but the music was mesmerizing.  The intricate patterns of twirling like gyroscopes and all with their eyes closed.  All men, despite the long camel hair skirts.   Who knows, their whirling may just be the glue that keeps the Universe spinning.  I don't count anything out.  To each his own.  As long as their twirling arms don't hit me in the nose, I try to be open minded. It was spellbinding, that evening.
http://www.whirlingdervishes.org/whirlingdervishes.htm

I've been up since 4:30.  My poor old bones just hurt sometimes.  Most of the time I can get up and take a Doan's and go back to sleep.  Not this morning, so I've been reading
magazines that have stacked up.  I've found more recipes than I could possibly make, each one sounding better than the last, pages earmarked (like I'll remember why.)  Family Circle had twenty five salads spotlighted and they all sounded great!  Makes you tired and hungry at the same time just thinking about them.  But summer is coming and the days can be really
                                                                        hot in this gorgeous canyon, so I need to warm up the copier and start copying.  Trisha says no one wants to read a castoff magazine with pages missing.  I guess she's right. I donate them to waiting rooms because I hate to throw them away.  So I copy the recipes and articles that I want to keep.  I put them in a folder and put them on the recipe shelf and then in a couple of years I find them and wonder why I kept them and toss them.  Sounds like a make work project...you know I need more of those! 


1 comment:

  1. Oh Sharon, I've been reading about the whirling Dervishes. What a great experience to be able to see them. I'm so glad you could and can hardly wait to hear about it. Love, Dort

    ReplyDelete