Use nine: Try softening brushes that are hardened with old, dried-in paint by boiling them in vinegar and let them stand for one hour. Then heat the vinegar and brushes come to a gentle boil. Simmer for 20 minutes. Rinse well, working the softened paint out of the bristles. For extremely heavy paint encrustations, you may need to repeat the process...or head to the hardware store.

Use ten: A little vinegar and salt added to the water you wash leafy green vegetables will float out bugs and kill germs.

Use eleven: Soak or simmer stuck-on food in 2 cups of water and 1/2 cup of vinegar. The food will soften and lift off in a few minutes.

Use twelve: Clean and freshen the garbage disposal by running a tray of ice cubes, with 1/2 cup of vinegar poured over them, through it once a week.

Use thirteen: In a pinch, you can use equal parts of lemon juice and vinegar to clean brass and copper. On difficult areas add a little salt to the mix for some abrasive action.

Thursday, May 27, 2010

41. The Hub-bub About Wasp Spray!


Well, I woke up at 5:00 again thinking about the wasp spray.  I have been reading several things about the use of the product for anything but insects.  This is all very interesting.  I'll post my findings and you can read all the details for yourself, if you are interested.  Keeping in mind that animals aren't usually going to obtain an attorney, I  have decided to opt for pepper spray that has a range of 8 to 20 feet.  (I had no idea there was such a product.)  It came under the heading of Bear Spray.  It is interesting to me that pepper spray is legal in most states.

It turns out that the wasp spray probably would only surprise the animal (which was kind of my idea.) I've sprayed an errant burst of hair spay in my eyes and that certainly surprised me.  I've never been in a situation with a human that required self-defense and I'm very thankful for that.  Although, I must admit after taking a short police self-defense class years ago in Pomona, I carry my keys between my fingers of my right hand and I wouldn't hesitate to try to put somebody's eye out with them.  I'm sure I'll get a response from that, so I'm not recommending that it's something you should do.  That's just me.  I'm willing to take my chances on that one.

http://www.snopes.com/crime/prevent/waspspray.asp
 
I should have checked my recommendations a little closer, which I will do in the future.  I'm kind of a "by the seat of the pants person" but that is no excuse.  So, Anonymous, I have removed the line from the blog. In some states it is illegal to use wasp spray for anything but wasps. I guess it says that in the fine print on the can.  (I keep a magnifying glass in each room because the fine print on LOTS of things is way too fine for me)  Now we know.  Other links are listed below and there are certainly more links than I have listed.  It's so cool to me that you can type in "wasp spray as a deterrent" and get a list of links. 

On that note, our friends, Polly and Phil, have a  1957 Buick Caballero Estate Wagon ( it is sooo sweet and memory filled) and after registering it for all of these years, (they bought it just before they got married and took it on their honeymoon) the D.M.V. decided that their vin number was incorrect.  Now, keep in mind the vin number could be in lots of places on the chassis and a 1957 Buick is really big.  So Polly went to the "search" box and requested "location of vin number/1957 Buick."  Back came the exact location! As obscure as the question might be, someone has posted an answer!
 http://urbanlegends.about.com/od/crime/a/wasp_spray.htm
http://www.survivaltopics.com/forums/self-defense/5992-wasp-spray-5.html

So, students, class is dismissed.  I hope we have all learned a valuable lesson or two or three.  I have learned that you can learn something new everyday, all you have to do is remember to pay attention.  As Bob would, say "Oh, Dear God."

No comments:

Post a Comment