Use nine: Try softening brushes that are hardened with old, dried-in paint by boiling them in vinegar and let them stand for one hour. Then heat the vinegar and brushes come to a gentle boil. Simmer for 20 minutes. Rinse well, working the softened paint out of the bristles. For extremely heavy paint encrustations, you may need to repeat the process...or head to the hardware store.

Use ten: A little vinegar and salt added to the water you wash leafy green vegetables will float out bugs and kill germs.

Use eleven: Soak or simmer stuck-on food in 2 cups of water and 1/2 cup of vinegar. The food will soften and lift off in a few minutes.

Use twelve: Clean and freshen the garbage disposal by running a tray of ice cubes, with 1/2 cup of vinegar poured over them, through it once a week.

Use thirteen: In a pinch, you can use equal parts of lemon juice and vinegar to clean brass and copper. On difficult areas add a little salt to the mix for some abrasive action.

Friday, May 28, 2010

42. Sights, sounds and cabinets.

 Looking out our new big kitchen window we are watching a pair of quail eating on the freshly mowed  upper meadow.  The quail love it when Bob cuts the weeds.  It must stir up seeds or at least make them more accessible. We have California Quail in our canyon.  They are so sweet to watch when they pair off.  Their little topknots bounce as they dash to the next shelter.  Soon we will be seeing them followed by ten to twelve little puff balls.  With luck one or two will survive.  The members of the coveys try hard to protect each other.  Usually one male will place himself on a bush or something higher than the group as the lookout.  They do not mate for life like the dove.  Their coveys are communal and females can have more than one clutch of eggs and not necessarily the same father.  Little hussies!  But everyone pitches in to help raise all the babies.  When they are startled their quick short flight sounds like an animal noise, a muffled roar.  It can startle you if you're walking and don't see them, especially if it is getting toward evening.  Bud and Preston high-tailed it home one evening when they heard it thinking it was a bobcat or some other unwelcome animal.

Mike installed the kitchen cabinets yesterday and Pat filled all the nail holes in the door jams. We probably won't have the doors for a while, but that's OK, we can still put the kitchen back in order.  I won't have to play archaeologist/mountain climber to find things.  It is just amazing how much larger the kitchen and living room look now.  The rooms will certainly be easier to keep clean, especially with double paned windows.  With so many more cabinets I should be able to keep the clutter to a minimum.  No unrealistic promises, just hopeful thinking.  The breakfast bar will certainly be nice, especially when we have company.  I love to talk to people while I cook and this will be perfect.  I spotted great bar stools for $70. on overstock.com .  The shipping is only $2.99 no matter what you order.  That's not a special deal, that's all the time.  It's usually the shipping that keeps me from ordering things on line or by catalog.  Those infomercials really charge hideous amounts for shipping (sometimes as much as $15 and they make you pay S/H for your "free" item.  That keeps me from ever ordering from them.  Besides, they have those "As seen on T.V." stores now.  So, Pssstttthhh to them.

I'm hoping that Mike tiles the cabinet that has the sink in it today.  That way he can install the sink tomorrow.  Bob's been doing the dishes in the bathroom.  It's OK, I'm just anxious and excited. He's anxious to be done, I'm sure.  The floor in the kitchen and new dining room will be Pergo wood flooring.  We had wood floors in the last house we lived in and they were wonderful.  We still have to pinch ourselves at our good fortune.  I won't say that I've never won anything again.  I feel like have been crowned Queen For A Day!

We are headed for town again today.  I have my dermatologist appointment this morning and Bob goes to physical therapy again. He said that they really gave him a workout yesterday.  I have a lovely new perm.  We both just love the little gal who is my stylist.  She makes you feel good all over just to spend time with her.  There are always big kisses and hugs for both of us.  True disappointment clouds her face when Bob doesn't at least show up to take me home.  Kila is reed thin and the perfect recipient for extra candy from Switzerland.  I always tip but not as much as I would like, so the candy make me feel better.

I hear voices in the living room, so unless Bob is talking to himself and answering, too, our work force has arrived.  I must go greet them and then I need put on a little makeup so I don't frighten little children when we go to town.

1 comment:

  1. Sharon, I'm so happy for you and Bob. I am picturing your place as things change. And hope to see you and the remodeled home later this year. Thanks for the info. on overstock.com, too.

    Have a good weekend.
    Susie

    ReplyDelete