Use nine: Try softening brushes that are hardened with old, dried-in paint by boiling them in vinegar and let them stand for one hour. Then heat the vinegar and brushes come to a gentle boil. Simmer for 20 minutes. Rinse well, working the softened paint out of the bristles. For extremely heavy paint encrustations, you may need to repeat the process...or head to the hardware store.

Use ten: A little vinegar and salt added to the water you wash leafy green vegetables will float out bugs and kill germs.

Use eleven: Soak or simmer stuck-on food in 2 cups of water and 1/2 cup of vinegar. The food will soften and lift off in a few minutes.

Use twelve: Clean and freshen the garbage disposal by running a tray of ice cubes, with 1/2 cup of vinegar poured over them, through it once a week.

Use thirteen: In a pinch, you can use equal parts of lemon juice and vinegar to clean brass and copper. On difficult areas add a little salt to the mix for some abrasive action.

Monday, May 10, 2010

30. A Breeze, Some Sunshine and the Gipsies

Mother's Day was lovely.  Bud brought roses when we met in the village of Arroyo Grande at a burger place.  He writes the sweetest cards. Bud said they have won the "Best Burger" award several years standing.  I believe it.  Bob and I haven't had a great big juicy restaurant bacon cheese burger in a really long time.  We savored every morsel with each bite better than the last.  We savored the company, as well.  Time seems to pass way too fast, the moments far too fleeting.  The older we get the faster time seems to go.  It doesn't do much good to dwell on it, except to remind ourselves to enjoy each day.  Isn't it interesting that we have to remind ourselves of that?  By this time in our lives one would think it would finally come naturally, already be ingrained in our personalities.  Hold on!  That's a lot to expect from people who spend far too much time looking for car keys and things that we had in our hands not two minutes ago.  How can we be expected to remember to be thankful when we are continually annoyed and aware of our frailties.

Bob is much more organized than I am.  I freely admit to that.  However, when I let him help me organize things I have to remember to write myself a note and put it in the old spot where the taxes or whatever the item had been, to tell me the new location because invariably I go to the not so organized place the item has been for so long.  How sad it that?
After lunch we drove out to Avila Beach for a concert by the Gipsy Kings.  Trisha bought our tickets for our Mother's Day and Father's Day.  The weather cooperated, not too hot, not too windy.  What a glorious day!  The group has been a favorite of ours for a long time.  I never imagined we would get to see them, let alone so close to home and in such a fabulous venue.  We decided that if you were there and didn't at least tap your toes, you must not have a pulse.  They played for an hour and a half, not the longest of concerts, but one of the most exhausting we have ever attended.  The grass was writhing with rumba and flamenco enthusiasts.  Bob called them happy spastics.  Our senses were still   tingling long after we left the parking area.

If you are not familiar with the Gipsy Kings you can go to You Tube and watch, listen and be amazed!  Volare and Bombaleo are two of our favorites.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oNgSeJzLJFc
 
Today Bob has all of his staples removed.  I wasn't sure if we should go yesterday, but he did fine.  No one had the seat in front of us so he was able to prop his up foot.  I'm glad we went, the whole day was wonderful and it was so nice to sit in the sun and be entertained. 

A dear friend of a lifetime passed away on Mother's Day several years ago.  She was the first of our tight group of friends from high school to leave.  We miss her terribly and the day never comes that we don't think of her and how she is missed.  We laughed, loved and grew up together, our children were born together, all three on the same years. So many things remind us of her and the grand times we all had together learning how to grow up.  It makes me think of the old Brownie saying, "Make new friends but keep the old, one is silver, the other gold."  I hope death is only energy transference and you are out there listening Joanie!

1 comment:

  1. Well it is always easy for the men, Winston is always quick to say I am the same weight that I was when we married. He has said in the past to me, I thought we were not going to change. How come you put on weight. Maybe it's because I ate :). Come on I have always said that I was on a sea food diet. I look at food and it just becomes poundage for me, heck I don't eaven have to eat it and the pounds go on. I will always fight the fight, but I hope to get a better hold on it. I have lost 20 lbs so far this year and my doctor want to see another 38 come off before I can have my knee replacement. The pain is so bad in my knees that I think it far out weighs the hunger pains. Well I have to look on the bright or lighter side of this. Wishing you luck tonight with your weigh in. Love to you both. Love Raine and Win P.S. I had to post this Anonymous because I could not get it to post anyother way.

    ReplyDelete